Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Trip to Hawaii: Shangri La and Manoa Falls

Some of the first sights we saw when we traveled to Hawaii were the Shangri La exhibit/house owned by Doris Duke when she was alive. She then donated it all to the Honolulu Museum of Art for all to enjoy. It was definitely an impressive home, filled with all sorts of Islamic art and architecture (that I wasn't able to photograph, so you'll just have to visit!).

Anyways, here were some of the outdoor highlights of the visit.

The guest house/pool



The view from the back balcony

I made a friend with one of the camels flanking the entrance.

The next day, we took a hike up to Manoa Falls. It wasn't a particularly long or difficult hike, but boy was it humid and a bit rainy! But the plant life was so amazing and nothing I'd ever seen before. I felt like I was in the TV show LOST all while I was on the hike ha!



The actual waterfall at the end, so serene!



Being an avid hiker, I was glad to have gone on this hike and seen all of the wild fauna that Hawaii has to offer. My only regret was that we weren't able to go on any more hikes like this while we were there. Next time, we will plan on doing more for sure!

Next up: Beach days and our drive up and around North Shore!

1 comment:

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

We missed the Shangri la guest house last visit. We will go there in December, for sure!

The flora around Manoa Falls is just crazy!