Friday, March 6, 2015

Five for Friday: Books Edition

I really want to make this a regular thing so that I can make my blog a more regular place on top of my photo project. Some place to express myself outside of photography and have fun.

So here I go again. I'm currently in the final stretch at work and during this time I struggle the most at motivating myself to watch video footage and edit like I'm supposed to do. I get all my best work done in the mornings (I'm one of those "morning people"). So it being Friday, I feel like I can blow my work off for the time being and tell you five books I'm hoping to read in the next little bit.

Earlier this year, I posted about my New Year's resolutions and reading 2 books a month was one of them. So far I'm halfway through my first March book (I got a head start in February) and am looking forward to the other books I'll be reading this year.

Mostly, I'm one of those people who meanders through a library or book store until something jumps out at me but I also have an ongoing list of books I hope to read someday when the time is right i.e. when I get excited about reading it. It's so much harder to read a book when you're not excited about it even if you KNOW you'll like it. At least, that's the case for me.

So here we go.

#1: "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

I'm currently binge-watching "Parks and Recreation" with Ryan and though I've liked Amy Poehler in the things I had seen her in prior to watching the show, I am now absolutely in love with her. So it only seems fitting that I eventually read her book.


#2: "The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances" by The Oatmeal

Since about this time last year, I have gotten into running. I'm also a big fan of The Oatmeal and his online comic series (if you haven't yet, check him out, he's hilarious: http://theoatmeal.com) so it's only natural that I read this book. This is something I'd have to buy physically since it includes a lot of animation and wouldn't translate well via kindle. But I am looking forward to diving into it for both laughter and inspiration as I tentatively train for a half marathon.


#3: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling

I am so behind the times but since the book came out (even before it was revealed to be written by J.K. Rowling) I have wanted to read this book and the book after it. It's been sitting on my Amazon wishlist for years and I've decided that this year will be the year I will read it! I've heard fantastic things about it and I love Jo's writing style.


#4: Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

I am a fan of all things Brandon Sanderson so far. I read his Mistborn trilogy first and then read "Warbreaker" and then finally got the guts to dive into his SUPER LONG but SUPER GOOD Stormlight Archive series which only has 2 of the anticipated 10 novels finished. I then read "Alloy of Law", the first book in his second Mistborn trilogy and have now read everything in that universe except for "Elantris". It's his first published book and though I've heard it's weaker than his other stuff, I feel that I need to read all of his books. Plus it'll tide me over while I wait for the next Stormlight Archive book and the next Mistborn novel.


#5: Love Dishonor Marry Die Cherish Perish by David Rakoff

This book is one that has been at the top of my list for YEARS. I first heard of it on an episode of This American Life podcast back when it was first released and have loved when David Rakoff was on the show before he died tragically of cancer before getting to see the publishing of the book. I have been torn between listening to the audiobook (which is read by Rakoff himself during his final months of life) and reading it. It's done completely in iambic pentameter and reads like a long epic poem. The sample I read on kindle a while back was breath-taking and I guess I'm afraid of the sadness I'll feel after finishing it that I know will come. And maybe I'll both listen to the audiobook and read it. Why not? It's probably THAT good.


There you have it. Five books that I'm looking forward to reading. If you have any recommendations, feel free to let me know them! But also know that I have a LONG list of books that I want to get to and that most often I'll probably ignore the list and just pick up a book that I've never heard of that looks interesting. But I still love hearing about books and whether or not they're worth reading.



No comments: