Sunday, November 23, 2014

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas (Tree)

Ever since Ryan and I have been married, I have wanted a white Christmas tree. This was because our apartment didn't allow for a real tree, which would've been my preferred medium for a Christmas tree. And my thinking was that if it was going to be fake, might as well have it look REALLY fake. But when we were looking for a tree that first year of marriage, the white ones were the most expensive for some reason. So we settled on a small, 4.5 foot green pre-lit tree. It was cute and it served its purpose of making the apartment more Christmas-y. We used that tree for 3 years.

Well, this year I put my foot down and said that now that we're in a more comfortable spot money-wise, I wanted my 6-foot white Christmas tree. Funny thing though is when we went to buy one, it cost the SAME AMOUNT as our weeny little 4.5-footer. So we got it without feeling guilty whatsoever.

I then argued that because Ryan and I will be in Missouri for Christmas, we won't have as much time to admire our tree and so we should put it up a week early to make up for lost time. He caved and yesterday evening we went about setting up and decorating our new tree. And it is ABSOLUTELY perfect. The only thing missing is a tree skirt, which I will be looking for this week to finish up the look.

Here's Ryan getting the tree all set up and fluffing up the branches. I also did a lot of fluffing. 
The trick to making fake trees look good is the fluffing of the branches. When I was working as a custodian at the Hinckley Alumni building, we set up around 8-9 fake trees and decorated all of them and the key to making them look fantastic was HOURS of fluffing. I spent most of my days in November fluffing those things (and replacing burnt out bulbs, yikes). So I have the technique down to an art.

The tree is all set up and mostly fluffed!
Ryan went to work putting on gold ribbons for our blue/gold themed tree.

The star is on top! Too bad the cord is too short to plug it in and get it lit. We have to figure out how to get that working...

First ornament on the tree! 
Lovely blue baubles. I am very glad we went with blue and gold. It's stunning!
I got a few hedgehog ornaments because why not? I love hedgehogs.



The tree in all its glory.
Here is the finished tree! Ryan didn't want to overload the tree with ornaments but I think it could use a few more. So when he isn't looking, I'll probably sneak a few ornaments on at a time. Really fill it with gold and blue splendor.

I'm a sucker for a good bokeh shot.
A couple of shots of the tree with the overhead lights off.


Overall, I am VERY pleased with how the tree turned out. I've seen tacky white trees in the past and I may be biased but I find our tree not at all tacky. But some people are just not fake tree people. I will say I miss the smell of pine, but to remedy that I'll just get myself a pine-scented candle :)

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in the Merrill pad!

1 comment:

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

what a beautiful tree! Nice job.