Sunday, November 9, 2014

Healthy Pumpkin Muffins

A while ago, I came across this recipe for healthy and delicious pumpkin muffins and the recipe was full of ingredients that I recognized and I had them in my own cabinets so I figured why not try and make them? I gave it a go this morning while we were lounging around and waiting to go to our 1pm church and they were super quick and very delicious! Ryan ate 3 of them not even 10 minutes after they got out of the oven. So allow me to share this delectable recipe that will make your mouth and tummy happy without breaking your diet :) But first, a few pictures I felt like taking while in the making process.


What makes this recipe healthier than other recipes is using honey instead of sugar. Honey is better than sugar because it's more natural, or so the Internet says. I'm definitely not complaining. Honey is delicious and a lot of fun to photograph.





Yep. I just couldn't stop snapping the pictures as Ryan poured the honey out of the measuring cup. It's a crazy substance!


 I love baking anything because it gives me the chance to break out my kitchen-aid I got as a Christmas present just last year. I absolutely love it. It makes my mixing life easier. No more busting my arm mixing for minutes on end. But on the down-side, my arm isn't getting that extra workout, ha!


I love pumpkin recipes because it turns the batter this lovely warm orange color. It's not a color you see every time you bake something, unless you're always baking pumpkin things. Which wouldn't be such a terribly way to live, now that I think about it. Mmmmm, pumpkin!


 And here they are, the finished product! I opted for the cupcake liners because it's less of a clean-up at the end. And I've had some weird taste results with my silicone pan. Sometimes my muffins would come out tasting like the soap I used to clean it the last time. So to be safe, I used the liners. Don't want to ruin a perfectly good batch of healthy pumpkin muffins!






Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
makes 12 normal-sized muffins


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup honey
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin, packed solidly

Instructions
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light; beat in honey, egg and pumpkin. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until just blended.

Spoon into muffin tin/cups, leaving a little space at the top (so about 3/4 of the way full). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan to wire rack. Eat when you can comfortably stand the heat :)


The rest of the morning, the apartment smelled of warm pumpkin and it was amazing, especially since today was another gorgeous autumn day. This fall has been so mild for Utah, most of the days have been in the 60s! I am definitely not complaining, but whenever Utah wants to bring on the snow I am certainly ready for that. Snow and the holidays are an absolute MUST.

Enjoy the muffins and happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

mmmmm. I had already planned to make pumpkin muffins tomorrow and I will try your recipe. And add nuts :)