Sunday, September 28, 2014

Ryan's 25th Birthday

I didn't take any fancy pictures this week, so it'll be a short post about life with the Merrills', which doesn't happen too often nowadays. So enjoy the peek into our simple little life :)

This past Wednesday was Ryan's 25th birthday. 25! Holy moly! For some reason him turning 25 is so weird. It was not too long ago when we were 20 and 21 and freshly married. And now he's 25! Okay, time for me to calm down. *deep breath*

Last Saturday, I told Ryan I would make him any breakfast for his birthday. He chose French Toast with a copycat recipe of the Magleby's syrup as well as homemade whipped cream and bacon on the side. It was a delicious Saturday morning and a good beginning to his birthday celebrations.



Sunday evening was the family celebration. His mom made chicken cordon bleu along with some tasty sides such as mashed potatoes, fresh *chilled* pineapple (the chilled part is a MUST for Ryan), and oven roasted broccoli. For dessert was his favorite, Skor Cake (or "better than whatever" cake as it's known in Utah. "Better than sex" cake to you secular-folk, ha!). It was a lovely dinner and presents were opened afterwards.

He got a ton of his favorite candy such as Hot Tamales, Good and Plenty, Swedish Fish, Reese's mini peanut butter cups, and Bottle Caps. He also got a gift card to California Pizza Kitchen, some new dress shirts, and a comic book/graphic novel from me.

This is what I got him. We're big Avatar nerds :)
 He also got...

an iPhone 6 Plus!


Well, not the real one yet. By the time we celebrated his birthday on Sunday, the phone was still shipping from China. So Craig put together a fake one, making sure to get all the specs right including size, width and weight! Ryan loved playing with it even though it wasn't the real deal.


the quarters were to make it the proper weight of the real iPhone 6 Plus. 

Despite the fake phone (or more actually INspite of the fake phone. He really loved that thing), we had a fun night.

The birthday boy with his cake. And a photo-bomb from Alan. Classy.

Wednesday was the real celebration. I asked Ryan if he wanted to go out for dinner and then see a movie. We went to Red Robin, a favorite of his, and then caught a 7:10pm showing of "The Maze Runner" since we had both just finished the book the night before. Dinner was delicious and the movie was pretty good, even though it wasn't much like the book except that they both contained mazes and they did run through it occasionally. That's pretty much it on the similarities. But it was still a fun movie.

Ryan at the theater, being nonchalant while I went to the bathroom.

My movie candy of choice

Ryan's movie candy of choice

All in all, it was a splendid day and a great way to celebrate a quarter century of life.

And now for the sappy stuff. I am so thankful that we were assigned the same family home evening group back when we lived in Raintree. I am thankful that he was persistent despite my initial distant demeanor. I am thankful that I listened to my gut and gave this guy a chance. I am so thankful that he showed his personality and made me realize we were very similar and liked similar things. I am so thankful he was patient with me while I discovered I loved him. And I am so thankful he proposed and I said yes.

Thank you, Ryan, for being alive and for loving me each and every day. I love you so much and look forward to your 30th, 50th, and hopefully we are both alive to see your 75th birthday. At that point, we'll have been married over 50 years! Wowza! Anyways, I love you and I'm glad we are together :)

Okay, sappy stuff over.

Ryan did eventually get his iPhone 6 Plus. It was the next day while we were at dinner with Ryan's parents. It's a MONSTER of a phone, but he couldn't be any happier.

Ryan's hand for scale. 

Well, hopefully I'll be back to practicing my photography next week. I'm a little ashamed of my hasty iPhone pics. But sometimes that's all one can do during a particularly busy week. Until next time!

3 comments:

Steve said...

I first thought the french toast was toast with mashed potatoes and a light chicken-type gravy, and I was both repulsed and intrigued.

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

Hooray for BIG phones!
And, I will wait for Netflix to watch the Maze Runner - thanks for the review.

Ellaniemae said...

My movie treat of choice is Milk Duds too! Hooray!