Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Star Photography

I had the opportunity to practice my long-exposure skills with the stars down at Lake Powell when I went down there last week. There are literally no towns for miles when you're on the lake and so the light spill from buildings and street lamps is nonexistent. So it was a perfect opportunity to stargaze (which we did with a telescope, lots of fun!) and then whip out my camera and stretch my photographer muscles.

I set most of these pictures at a 25-second exposure and just pointed my camera in a direction and hoped that it would take something good. My tripod was also a little odd since it was sitting on uneven ground and evening it out meant spending more time amongst the wild things and bugs flying everywhere. So the framing wasn't as good as I would like, but I'm actually quite pleased with how it all turned out. This will certainly NOT be the last time I'll do this :)

Edit: the lens used in all of these pictures was my Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 lens. It's quickly becoming my favorite.







Can you spot the Big Dipper?



 More from my Lake Powell adventures soon!

5 comments:

Steve said...

I don't understand all the photography techno-babble, but the photos are simply stunning. Superbly done!

An Amateur Contemplator said...

That was a beautiful evening and fun to try star photography. Your pictures came out beautiful and so clean. The 20/f1.7 is a great lens.

Julina said...

Hey, I actually CAN see the Big Dipper, which I usually can't see even when the sky is "live"...

Good job.

Talk to you soon, hopefully.

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

Just beautiful

Ellaniemae said...

Your pictures are spectacular!!! The night sky is simply stunning, and I, too, could recognize The Big Dipper! You did a wonderful job!!!