Sunday, August 17, 2014

Inside the Houseboat

During one of my weekly phone conversations with my mom and dad, I mentioned that I would be going down to Lake Powell with Ryan's family (as is tradition every summer) and would be staying on their houseboat. They brought up the point that in the many times I've been since marrying into the family, I hadn't ever taken pictures of inside the houseboat nor have I really described life inside of the houseboat. Amidst all of the things being done at Lake Powell, the houseboat dwelling times are the least exciting so it is always ignored. So I made it a point this time around to take pictures of the actual houseboat and briefly describe life living there for a week at a time.

The top of the houseboat, facing the bow. You can either steer it from here or down below, depending on your mood.

The top of the houseboat, facing the stern (rear). As you can see, there are lawn chairs for laying out. This is where we sleep most of the time, assuming it's not too cold or rainy.

When we move the houseboat from the buoy, we tow the other boats behind us like so (unless the channel gets too narrow, then we have people come and drive them through).
Anchoring the houseboat to our new location. Craig is holding a massive drill that goes into the stone and you put a metal spike in to hold the rope.



The couch/lounge area. This can pull out to be a bed if needed.

The kitchen. Fridge, stove, sink, microwave, toaster...all things are powered by the generator which is powered by the solar panels on the roof. The orange cooler is where we drink all of our water and we save all of the clean water being held in the boat holding tanks for washing food, hands, and anything necessary. (We bring down gallons of drinking water to put in it with ice) The cups have our names on them so we have our own one :)

The steering area from the main floor.

The staircase leading to the top of the boat.

The boat's name (and my reflection).

A fun slide that comes off the stern of the boat!

We also have a kayak and paddle board for our entertainment.

Another picture of the boat's name (and location)

Playing Five Crowns at the boat's dining room table and sitting area.


This is an all-inclusive map of the lake. As you can see, it's mostly just a massive canyon. Wahweap bay is the left-most bay area before the dam, and that's where we keep the houseboat on a buoy. This trip, we traveled up-lake to Weatherill canyon. If you can see it, you'll notice that's quite a ways up the lake for a houseboat to travel. It took 4.5 hours to do so.
When we're done using our life-jackets, we hook them up to the boat like this to dry out.

A view from the hide-a-bed couch (notice the TV, which we use to watch movies)

The only ceiling fan in the place. It sits above the couch and TV area. It's good for moving the air around during hot afternoons.

This cooler, for as long as I've been coming to Lake Powell, has been a "coffee table" and foot-rest for couch dwellers. Ryan is happily modeling for us in this picture.
 I hope these pictures offer a bit of an explanation as to where I am when I go to Lake Powell. There are also three-ish rooms that can be used for sleeping or napping if needed. They have mattresses as well. There are also two bathrooms, one with a shower. The boat is also equipped with A/C but I only remember using it once in the times I've been. Mostly, we keep all windows and doors open to let a good breeze in.

So that's that! The next post will be actual pictures of our adventures and will mostly include pictures of our trip to Rainbow Bridge. Comment with any questions concerning anything about the boat. To be honest, seeing these pictures only a week after returning makes me miss it. I want to be back!

2 comments:

Ellaniemae said...

Now that is going to the lake in luxury! I wished I could have had one of those when I was a kid!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

I loved the photo essay. And I am intrigued by the boat-anchoring process. Is the rock really hard to penetrate? Do you leave the spike in the rock when you leave? Do you ever re-use a spike from someone else boat? Why not a drop-in-the-water type of anchor which seems more environmentally friendly?