Sunday, July 13, 2014

Back with a Bang

Sorry about the Internet silence. What with the (not-so-new-anymore) job, summer being in full-swing, moving apartments, and doing other such activities, I haven't had time to maintain this blog. I really want to do better now that things have settled a bit and maybe even do better at making this blog more specific in its content i.e. my exploration into photography and other skills I'm developing.

In the meantime, my most recent pictures taken were from the 4th of July weekend we had last week. I LOVE that Independence Day landed on a Friday this year so that I was able to have a nice three-day weekend.

The activities began Thursday night when Ryan and I, along with his parents and grandmother, went up to Oakley and attended the supposed "best" rodeo in the country. I'm not a rodeo connoisseur so I can't say whether or not it was the best, but it was fairly fun. The weather was windy and a little drizzly for 15 minutes, but the sunset was incredible.


Also, I've come to realize that the sporting events at a rodeo just aren't for me since a lot of them involve poor animal treatment (cattle-prodding the steers out of their pens, yanking on certain parts of the body to get them to buck, etc), but it was relatively entertaining nonetheless.

I took the opportunity to practice my sporting photography, bumping up my shutter speed to 150-200 (as well as bumping up my ISO in order to see as most of these were taken at night), and setting my camera to burst mode. The first pictures, of course, didn't go so well, but the longer I tried the more I got the hang of it and could anticipate the best shots and so I'm fairly pleased with the results.




I enjoyed the Barrel Racing and some of the bull-riding but I guess rodeos just aren't my thing. The night was capped off with fireworks, which are always fun. Then we drove back home (which took an hour) and I was in bed at around midnight.

I woke up the next day at 5:30 in the morning to prep myself for the Freedom Festival 5k run that was going on at 7am. So after getting to bed at midnight, I certainly wasn't feeling up to running. Overall, the race was over-crowded, hot and not as enjoyable as the 5k I did two weeks earlier in American Fork, but I did it and that's always great.

 Ryan snagged some pics of "Uncle Sam" running the 1-mile race they had for kids. He was on stilts, I believe.

And there I am, blurry from running so fast (ha!). In actuality, Ryan used my big camera and I had all the settings on auto for him so I'm wondering if this was a camera mistake more than a Ryan mistake. Either way, it looks impressive. I was sprinting at the finish line, so who knows? Maybe I WAS going too fast for the camera. (For an added laugh, check out that kid to the right of me: what kind of face is he making?! *chortle*)

This was taken after the race, when I got a banana, some grapes and a piece of bread in my body, so I look happy. But believe me, this was one of the most exhausting races so far. But I got a medal!

The rest of the day was spent relaxing, watching TV, napping and recovering from the morning. I'm sad we missed the parade since I'm actually a big fan of parades, but next year we'll check it out. Then, in the evening, we had a big BBQ with Ryan's family and watched the cousins light off fireworks and play with sparklers. I like fireworks season because I can take advantage of practicing my long-exposure photography. But fireworks pictures do get old, especially when they're not photographed well. So forgive me for adding to the pile of overdone fireworks pictures:







Overall, it was a GREAT 4th of July weekend and I'm always sad when it's over. But in Utah, we also have Pioneer Day which is basically an extension of 4th of July. So yay! More fireworks and over-eating! 

I also just got a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR camera that I'm playing around with and I have 2 rolls of film ready to be developed and once they are, I'll be more than happy to share those pictures and my adventures playing around with film.

Hope you all had a great Independence Day!

1 comment:

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

Thanks for making the time to post. I loved reading it and enjoyed the pictures! Very nice.