Sunday, August 25, 2013

Thirty Day Photography Challenge: Day 15

Ah, silhouettes! I was pretty excited to try out this challenge since I have in my possession a large china ball that can diffuse the light coming from a 500 watt lightbulb pretty well, and so doing a silhouette would be easy and fun!

This is what my china ball looks like approximately. Though I think mine is bigger than this one.

But...the 500 watt lightbulb I had went kaput. And I didn't know that until this afternoon when I tried using it. Drat! So now I had to resort to using natural lighting and I was pretty sure the sun wasn't going to be visible all evening (lots of clouds and possible thunder storms), so there wasn't a chance for me to do a really pretty lens flare-y silhouette during a sunset.

That's when I decided to use the window in my bedroom. Not as fun as a china ball, but I think it worked out just as well.

SILHOUETTE
Lens: Lumix G Vario 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 zoom lens
ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/500
(crushed the blacks and bumped up the white/medium light)

Here's Ryan facing the camera, modeling while I got all the settings figured out. Hehe!

Close-up. I love how you can see my eyelashes with good detail.

And a goofy one. My hair is making a strange loop up on my shoulder! And see the black spot on the left-side of the window sill? Those are the rocks I took a picture of not too long ago, tee hee.

I'm pleased with how today's photos turned out, though I wish I could've used my china ball. Sigh...one day. And if any of you want to do your own silhouettes, all you need is a lot of light behind you and tell your camera to focus on the light instead of trying to get your face. And that's it! Oh, and turn off your auto-flash. I put my camera in black and white so that it would look even more contrasted with the light and dark, but you can do silhouettes with color just as well.

And that's it for today! Thanks for reading!

P.S. Still no word on the ultrasound. And there is a week until school, so...yep. Not too happy. But what can I do? March down there and DEMAND results? Cut out my own gallbladder? Neither of those sound really nice, so I'll just deal with it.

Happy Sunday!

No comments: