Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Thirty Day Photography Challenge: Day 10

I made it to day 10! Woo! I'm a third of the way done with this challenge! It's been an adventure, that's for sure. Some days have been better than others as far as photography goes (especially that rather disappointing day 3), but mostly I look forward to the opportunity to photograph something new and different.

Today was one of those days that I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Not living near my childhood home or having in my possession anything that would constitute a "childhood memory" (I only have a handful of childhood books, and all of them are Harry Potter-related). So I had to really think outside of the box.

And then I had it: rocks.

Childhood Memory
Lens: Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 lens
ISO 2000, f/2.2, 1/160







When I was a kid, I collected rocks. I had a shoebox full of rocks that I found at Johnson's Shut-Ins , rocks from hikes I took, and some rocks that were actually the asphalt used to make hard tennis courts. They each had a specific memory attached to them and on lazy Sunday afternoons, I would dump them all on my bed and sort through them by color, texture, and size (much like I've done here).

Well, that habit has not died, obviously. All of these rocks (except for the ones with holes in them) came from Lake Powell. The holed rocks came from good ol' Johnson's Shut-Ins. I have a hard time letting rocks go when I find one that I'm particularly fond of. So as I accumulate these little (and sometimes big, like that large round one) rocks, they pile up on my window sill and I smile at them every time I open the window.

One rock that isn't pictured is the rock I picked up from the Great Wall of China. That one is sitting on Ryan's dresser. I forgot it was there until just now. But lemme tell you that I DEFINITELY won't be getting rid of that one! It's from CHINA!

I don't know why I collect rocks of all things. But it's something I did as a kid and haven't stopped doing since.

P.S. Still no word on the ultrasounds. The ultrasound technician said the results would be in by yesterday afternoon, so I don't know what the hold-up is. Oh well, guess I'll find out when I do.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

You stole a rock from china??? Did you claim that at customs?! Pahahahaha...you lil thief!!

Ellaniemae said...

When I think of rocks, I think Diamonds. You could have photographed your wedding/engagement rings and added them to your collection, right?

Kirsti said...

Tamara, I would've but I figured it wasn't worth enough money to claim hahaha!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

You've seen dad's rocks from Maine on his bedside bookcase? I have my Maine rocks in a cool jar. And, lots of my rocks are in nestled in my plant pots. I think we know where you got this little obsession.....