Sunday, August 11, 2013

Thirty Day Photography Challenge: Day 1

I am notorious for getting excited about and attempting various 30-day challenges and then halfway through failing to keep up. So let's see if I can manage at least 20 days (approximately the amount of days before school starts back up) of doing this challenge before I fail completely. What I hope to learn from doing this is to mature as a photographer. So far, I've mostly focused on filming and editing, but I have a fantastic camera that can take fantastic still photos as well as capturing motion. So why not learn to use it and increase my photog skills? So here goes.

DAY 1-Self Portrait

Camera Info:
Take with: Panasonic GH2
Lens: Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 lens
ISO 320, f/1.7, 1/400
(was actually shot in color and changed to B/W in Photoshop Elements 9)

So, this is me. Technically, I took this yesterday morning at around 11:30 in my bathroom. That is where I get the best diffused lighting in the morning times. I set up my camera on its tripod, attached my new wireless shutter release, set it to shutter priority and snapped about two dozen photos of myself, trying to look candid, genuine, honest. It surprisingly wasn't as hard as I thought. Turns out I can be more genuine and candid with myself as the photographer than I can when someone else is taking the picture.

I did some minor photoshopping just as practice such as enhancing my eyes and removing some spots. But I didn't do much else. My skin isn't perfect, there are the beginnings of crows feet at the corners of my eyes, and that one tooth that refused to stay in place after braces is poking out, looking like a snaggletooth at certain angles. Though I still have many imperfections I want to change, I love who I have become in the 22 years of my life. And I love the life that I lead, simple though it may be. And I look forward to growing as a wife, a daughter of God, and a filmmaker/photographer in the years to come.

Okay, day 1 is finished. I would've posted this yesterday when I actually TOOK the picture, but I had already posted twice about China and a third post felt overwhelming. Might as well pace myself, right?

I will attempt for this to be a daily occurrence. I want to blog about other things, so on those days there will be two blog posts! YAY!

1 comment:

Ellaniemae said...

When I look at the crows feet you mentioned, I see a life of laughter, spent happily in meaningful conversations. What do you see?