Monday, June 18, 2012

A Typical Summer Day

I have worked at Malawi's for one week now. I didn't realize how much I missed the restaurant world until I was back in the fray, delivering food, bussing tables, and running around cleaning everything up. It's definitely something that I don't regret going to each night. But let's wait and see how I feel after doing double shifts wednesday through saturday this week. Yikes!

School is officially over for me now, except for my "Beehive Stories" class, which isn't over until everything is turned in. Each episode still needs some audio tweaking and so once that's finished (hopefully by next week) THEN that class will be over. I'm pretty sure I got a B+ in my French class, but I'm okay with that.

Working full-time at Malawi's has created a new sort-of schedule with me and Ryan. We used to spend every evening making dinner together and watching things on TV or on Netflix. Nowadays, we'll eat alone as I usually go in at 5 or 5:30. Ryan now spends his evenings gaming to his little heart's content as I bustle around the restaurant, earning money. I thought this would be a harder adjustment than it has been because I adore the time we have together at night. But what it's done for me is made me really appreciate the nights we do have together since those are going to be rare occurrences for a while. It feels good to be a bit contributor to our income. I also get to have more relaxed mornings since the restaurant doesn't open until 11 (meaning I will go in at 10 if I have an opening shift).

Even though school is done for me, that doesn't mean I'll cut myself a break. I have let go of some good habits throughout the last few months and I really need to get back into them. I am back at my original weight from before I started doing Jillian Michaels DVD workouts, and I need to get back into shape. I also have forgotten to update our "budget" (which is really just a recording of what we spend our money on, less of a "spend this amount only on such-and-such thing), and so I need to get back into that habit. Ryan and I are fairly clean individuals, so we don't necessarily NEED to clean, but we haven't cleaned our new apartment since we've moved in here (a month and a half ago); so that needs to be done again. Spiritually, we've also gotten lazy: we haven' been to the temple since...oh, I dunno, February? January? It seriously has been a LONG time, considering we have a temple 5 minutes away. We aren't diligent in our couples scripture reading and we don't have a regular Family Home Evening.

Overall, my life is content, but like my sister Emily, I've gotten stuck in a rut and my body and soul need and crave things that should be in my life! I want to read more, I want to journal more, I want to feel accomplished in my cooking, cleaning, and budgeting habits. I want to invite the Spirit into my home as much as possible, and I want to feel healthy and lively.

There is so much that can be improved in our home after 10 months of marriage. And it won't be easy to keep these habits, but I am determined that we establish them now and keep them for the rest of our mortal lives.

How do you all keep a stable, healthy life amidst all the chaos of school, work, and other duties? Where do you fit all of these things into your day? I would love the advice!

And with that, I think I'll clean the bathroom.

1 comment:

Ellaniemae said...

I have been reading Kristen Oaks' book and she talks about living with eye signle to God. I feel guilty because I am not there yet. "I want what I want, when I want it." I have so much to improve upon, just like everyone else. Sorry, no advice here... But please let me know when you get some; please share it with me! Good luck!