Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday the 3rd

Today wasn't much different from yesterday. Except I had the opportunity to exercise.

Let me just say a few words on that.

I love exercising. I love any kind of activity, even if it's lifting weights and doing crunches! Maybe that's why I've managed to stay thin without much deviance in mean weight for the last 5 years (I'm not entirely sure I used "deviance" or "mean" in the correct context). For the first part of this year, I was getting my fitness on with a Jillian Michaels DVD. I LOVED that DVD. She kicked my butt in the best way possible. But after 2.5 months of that, I was getting bored. So instead of buying a new DVD (which I will for the summer to get my six-pack back), I decided to hit up the gym. I used to do this when I was in the Army ROTC and when I was in my weight-lifting class. And I completely forgot how great it is to lose weight the way I wanted to do it, not listening to a fitness instructor/2-D person in my TV.

I just put in my headphones, turn on the newest NPR "This American Life" or "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me"and just have at it. For the last 2-3 weeks, I haven't been able to get to the gym on a regular basis. Because of this, I've been feeling frumpy and gross. But after weighing myself (I'd been putting it off for those two weeks, afraid of what I'd see), I noticed that I was pretty much the same weight. THANK GOODNESS. It was a Scrooge moment where I thought I was beyond help and that I might as well just give up and succumb to my looming fate as one of the contestants of "The Biggest Loser" (Which would be AWESOME except I'd be really really REALLY fat), but instead I was able to redeem myself from my faults and live my life differently.

When I work out, I almost always start out with simple cardio/a quick run to get my muscles loose. For Army ROTC Physical Training, that was how you started as well. So I run for 10 minutes (a slow mile) and then I bounce from machine to machine mixing up the exercises on each muscle group so I don't exhaust just my legs or just my arms, etc. And despite the fact that I sweat SO MUCH in those stuffy rooms, I love being able to choose which machines to use. I have the advantage of knowing pretty much what each machine does for my body, something that overwhelms most of the beginner gym-goers. Anyways, it was great to laugh along to "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me" today and burn off about 350 calories. Soon, I want to really just focus on cardio i.e. jogging (if my foot will let me. The stress fracture from last year has had a permanent effect on my foot and it hurts on occasion) and biking. When summer gets here, me and Ryan will DEFINITELY be biking to work/school and around the area/through canyons. I'm super excited for that!

Enough about fitness though. Tomorrow, me and Ryan are looking at a potential basement apartment that we could move into this month if we decide to buy the contract. The flat rate for the rent is $495+gas, electric and internet, coming to a total of about $595. That may seem like a LOT to you people in Missouri/non-expensive state-dwellers, but that's pretty freaking low. Most married housing places are on average $650. Right now we're paying $620 total for our apartment. So this would be better all around: cheaper, CLOSER (that was my main goal in moving), and cooler since it's in the basement. The only thing holding us back is selling our current contract. It could be difficult to sell within the month so if we bought this contract, we'd risk having to pay for two contracts...but if we feel good about it, I think it's a risk we'd be willing to take.

Also, I tried doing a "photo an hour" thing today to post, but it kinda failed. I think I'll attempt it again tomorrow.

I'm sorry if these blogs are terribly boring. I could do what I did last year and find a fun "30 days challenge" to do! What say you?

1 comment:

Ellaniemae said...

I like these blog posts. It is fun for me to see how you are, and to see what you are up to. Speaking of which, did you ever hear anything about the producer/editing job?