Monday, April 16, 2012

Pottermore: My ongoing internal battle

I've already written a blogpost about Pottermore on this blog (click on "this" to go the post), and I probably went into a little bit the biggest thing I've been struggling with, but I decided to do it on my personal blog and just let you all know what kind of internal battle is going on here.

I am a Hufflepuff.

I am in the house of the badger, yellow and black, the house that Cedric Diggory was in, the house that Neville Longbottom was almost sorted into, the one where the Fat Friar is the resident ghost and a similarly stout Professor Sprout is the person we are familiar with as the head in the books.

When I was first sorted into Hufflepuff back in September, I yelled in shock. Ryan was sitting in the recliner chair, probably playing a game or reading, and I was sitting on the couch, taking the sorting quiz. The last question was "Heads or Tails" and I'm fairly certain I chose heads and BAM. A yellow and black coat of arms with the badger on it showed on the screen. And I yelled briefly. I was incredulous. I had always half and half associated myself with Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Heck, I'd take Gryffindor because cool people were in that house as well. But Hufflepuff? Never, and I mean, NEVER had I fathomed I'd be a Hufflepuff. On the other online quizzes it never came up, even the ones I was 100% honest on. For the Pottermore sorting, I knew that JK Rowling wrote the quiz herself and so I was completely, almost over thinking it, honest. But "heads or tails"? REALLY?

I keep wondering if I had answered differently if it would've sorted me somewhere else. But it's too late. As Kristina Horner said (click on her name to go to the blog post):


"It's also been suggested to me that I start a new account when the beta is over and try to get Slytherin, but to me, that's very outside the spirit of Harry Potter and being sorted at all. Students at Hogwarts don't just get to defer their first year, come back the next year, and get sorted again. You get sorted once. And that's your house."


I, too, was considering making a new account and trying again. But I was completely honest with myself. I made sure each answer was chosen to the best of my abilities, even the heads or tails one. And so, there it is. I am a Hufflepuff.


And, you know what? It's not so bad. Kristina really said it all on her blog, about how Hufflepuffs are loyal, hardworking, patient, honest...they are simply the best of the bunch. The Pottermore site also gives a great description of what Hufflepuffs are and who they are on the inside, and after reading that description it helps me to cope with what I have become. I like being seen as hardworking, loyal, and honest. Those are traits I greatly appreciate in the people around me.


But I always saw myself as a Slytherin because of my ambition. I tried many different things as a kid, always pushing myself to be the best, or at least in the top 10%. If I didn't excel at it, I would drop it or I would find a way to excel at it. I have every capacity to be the best at something, but much like Kristina's predicament, I lack the drive and the selfishness to run over people to do it. I'm too kind at heart and deep down I empathize with people and could never use them to get what I want. And I'm too humble about a lot of my work.


So, yeah. I'm a Hufflepuff.

But I hate the name, I hate it hate it hate it. What a STUPID name. That aspect of it is fairly ridiculous and silly. If it weren't for the name, I'd be 100% behind the decision of the sorting hat. But as it is, I still struggle with coming to terms with the selection because of the name. Yeah, that may be unfair, but honestly, would you let yourself fall in love and marry someone who's name was Hufflepuff? Yeah, I didn't think so.



Hufflepuff *snigger* pride!

4 comments:

Ellaniemae said...

I know I am not totally swept up in Harry Potter, but I don't think Hufflepuff is such a bad name. I always thought of Slitherin' as the worst name possible. I guess I don't have a clue what I am talking about though.

Jeanne Lambson said...

Ya, but the badger is one mean bad critter. He is quite the mascot, truly. It is interesting that Rowling only chose one magical creature as a mascot. And, I never associated badgers with magic like the other three. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?!?!?!?!

Twig said...

Just for the record, I wouldn't marry someone who's name was Hufflepuff either, but at least it was her last name-- her first name was Helena. (Right?)

Sarah Lambson said...

Yeah, Hufflepuff is a SILLY name. The silliest of all the house names. But it's kind of whimsical too!

I always like pronouncing it hooflepoof. It makes me laugh. In a GOOD way.

Own who you are but also remember that it's just an internet site. I bet if you had said "not hufflepuff" to the sorting hat it might have reconsidered. You know, since it's our CHOICES that define us.