Saturday, October 15, 2011

Homecoming weekend and then some

I wish I were better at creating titles. But I'm not. Last weekend was Homecoming. The entirety of last week, if you remember, was absolutely rainy, cold and miserable, except that I didn't let that get me down. I was still in high spirits. And those spirits still existed when me and Ryan decided to watch the Homecoming Parade and ride our bikes to get there. Thankfully it wasn't rainy when we went at 8am to partake in the free pancakes that were to be served at every announcer's booth (about 1 announcer every quarter mile). After doing some light maintenance (which, for what it's worth, I can NEVER spell that word!) on the bikes, we headed out with quilts in our backpacks so that we had some warmth and a place to sit for the parade. The bike up was really invigorating and we were both hungry and ready for some pancakes. Get this: the pancakes were dyed BLUE! And so, there we were, sitting by the duck pond south of BYU campus, cold and sniffly, but eating delicious blue pancakes.
Ryan partaking in the blue pancakes.
He got ahold of the camera. And I made this face at him.

BLUE! And whipped cream! Yum!

The parade was okay. All the candy they threw were salt water taffies. Love them, but it got a little old. We did get a free beach ball from a friend of Ryan's who recognized him. Woo!

We biked back, absolutely frozen from being there for 3 hours (the parade started at 10) and warmed up by doing our weekly chores: laundry, cleaning, homework...and then at 4:15 in the afternoon, I had to head to the football stadium to work my last. football. game. ever. Gasp! I wish I could say it went smoothly. But it was a bit rough. I left in high spirits, though, and now I am only employed at BYU Broadcasting.

This past week was a bit of a load. I had to film my test footage for my final documentary in one of my film classes. I emailed the author of the blog, Verbal Vomit, and asked her if I could film her as she created a piece of art (she's a fellow BYU student). And she agreed! So, yes, I've met the humorous and delightful Hannah, the creator of Verbal Vomit. And I'll be seeing her again to film the final footage this coming week. She was extremely easy to work with and I'm excited to start getting this documentary together.

I also had to film our spoof film for my other film class that's ending on Tuesday the 18th. Me and my group decided to spoof, or "swede", the film "Eclipse" from the *gag* Twilight Saga. So me and Ryan had to watch the film so I could do proper research. It wasn't as bad as I was anticipating, but it was pretty poor quality. We did that all day Thursday, from noon-6:30 at night. Yikes! But it was fun. And I'm pretty sure it'll be freaking entertaining.

My French 101 class is wrapping up this week as well. On Friday, I took two tests/quizzes in that class: one was the listening comprehension/Culture quiz for chapter 6 and the other was the oral exam for chapters 4-6. And on Monday I'll take a listening comprehension/culture quiz for all the chapters, and then on Tuesday is the final and the test on chapter 6. Yes. Two tests. In ONE sitting. I only have 3 hours to do it. It's gonna be intense, but my teacher has a lot of faith in me and said I'd do well in the 102 accelerated class that starts two days after the final. I'll be hitting the ground running when it comes to French. But it's really fun! I can actually carry a conversation with my native French teacher!

Oh, and the weather? It's not rainy anymore. It's been absolutely gorgeous! And so, that brings me to today. I didn't do anything extraordinary with the weather. But me and Ryan made cinnamon pancakes and cheesy scrambled eggs for breakfast, I had a mid-morning power nap (I'm getting over a cold), we did laundry, and then we headed out to do some errands.

My ward is starting a sewing club and we had our first meeting on Tuesday. I went, since I've decided I need to make friends in my ward. And now I'm uber inspired to try and sew some things by myself. Our first stop, then, was Joann's Fabric. McCall's was having a pattern sale and I got two patterns for $0.99 a piece! One is an easy dress (or so it told me) and the other is a long skirt. I held off on buying fabric because, I'm embarrassed to admit, I had no idea what all the different things on the back meant. I knew roughly what I wanted, but then it said other things and I just got confused and my confidence waned. So...I'll get that next week. I pulled out the sewing machine my mom got me as a wedding present and got myself acquainted with it. Looks like I'll need to buy pins, spools, and a pin cushion along with the fabric, zippers, and buttons when I go to Joann's again next week.

The next stop was Menchie's. I had my final check, the $50 return for giving back the uniform, and some tip money waiting for me, and I needed to return the key to the store. We also had some free yogurt gift cards so we enjoyed some new flavors like german chocolate cake and chocolate-dipped banana. Yum! Then we headed to Target to finish off our gift cards (yes, we are still accumulating them!). We bought a 2-qt crockpot, some kitchen towels, a fancy ice-cream scoop, and all the ingredients to make homemade philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

When we got home, I started on the hoagies.

The beginning of the process
After an hour and a half of rising!

Once they were separated into their little mounds to make separate sammiches, we started on the philly cheesesteak filling.
The veggies! Aren't they beautiful? (the red pepper is organic)
 The steak all cut up and ready to cook in the melted butter.
Ryan doing what he does best: stirring up the meat while I get ready to cut up the veggies.

The end result was pretty good. My hoagies sunk down and became more of a hamburger bun, and we could've been more experimental/exotic with our use of spices in the mixture. But all in all, it was delicious and we have some leftovers to look forward to!

 My Philly Cheesesteak Sammich!
 Inside the sammich: steak, green and red peppers, onion, and provolone cheese on top!
 The mixture in the skillet
Ryan waiting for his to be finished broiling in our (awesome) toaster oven.

All in all, today was good for my soul. Autumn is good for my soul. I got to spend time with my amazing husband and I hope he didn't find this endless time with me exhausting. I absolutely loved it!

Until next time.


5 comments:

Peeser said...

Ha ha. "Sammich." Makes me want a "Baloney Sammich" now. Or at least to watch any of the related cartoons...

Sarah Lambson said...

You are adorable. And awesome. And I commend you on making that meal all from scratch! Wool!

Lets see, what were my other thoughts.

The expression on your face cracked me up, blue pancakes are weird, I can't wait to learn to sew, and the last picture of Ryan makes me think of Alfred watching the birds on the deck. HA! In a good way.

Love and miss you!

Twig said...

Looks delicious! Whenever I get married, you should buy me a toaster oven ;) better remember that thought, it might be a while....

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

BLUE pancakes! They look horrible (and gluten-full (I accidentally typed bluten-full - hee hee)) BUT, I am sure they were yummy.

Loved the photos.

gemma kelly said...

great blog! xx

www.athomewithconnor.blogspot.com