Friday, March 4, 2011

Dance Class

Today I blog about my dance class. Right now, the unit we're in is choreography (no, not the Danny Kaye song from "White Christmas"...though some of the dancing is kinda along those lines). So this involves partner dances from ALL around the world. My personal favorite of all the partner dances so far is the Scottish contra-dance. It's very similar to Irish dance, except it's less kick back towards your butt and more low and forward...I don't know if any of you know what that means, but youtube Irish and Scottish dance and you'll see the difference. I also enjoy Argentine and Spanish dance though those are the dances responsible for jacking up my left food.

I took some video of my class mates doing Tinikling, another fun, but DANGEROUS dance from the Phillipines. This is only our third time doing it with the beams so it's still tricky for us. And the pole beaters don't give us enough room or don't stay on beat...it's hard trusting people who are only beating these poles for the third time as well...


video
Pretty crazy, huh? I'm hoping this video works...I can't tell right now.

But as I mentioned above, while doing this Spanish dance called Jota, I injured my foot. I've been trying to google reasons why it hurts. But nothing definitive. All I know is that the pain goes away until I dance again and then it comes back as strong as before. The Jota is a fun dance to do, but I'm hoping it's not the last dance I do.

Short blog post. But I have some things I need to accomplish before the night is over.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

ha! leave it up to the Spaniards to "break a leg" wa-hahahaha!!!!!

The dance looked like lots of fun, though. hope it was worth it!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

take more videos! I love them.