Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Holiday Season

Bleh, that last post was DE-PRESS-ING. I'm much better now. A little wary of my allergy drop treatment now, since it's pretty much putting my allergens in my system to help me build up a resistance.

Can I just say that I love this weather? And by "this weather" I mean cold, but not unbearably so, snowy, overcast, and the smell of winter. Maybe it's because I was born in the wintertime or maybe because it's the Holiday season, but this weather makes me unbelievably happy. I get to wear my winter boots, long socks, all my different cardigans and coats (I have a ridiculously large amount of them for some reason) and layer up. Drink hot choco and not look weird. I can frolic in the snow! And then I can reminisce about going home for Christmas and New Years and be with my loud, crazy, lovable family. I can snuggle with my puppies and my lone rabbit that's lived for more than 10 years already.

At the moment, I'm listening to this Christmas CD that my dear father put together years ago. When it comes to Christmas mixes, my ol' man is so good at it! He knows his Christmas music well. The mix CD includes classics from "White Christmas" and "Holiday Inn" and not so classic (but it is to our family) "Home Alone".

Some of my favorite traditions during this season are as follows:

-Not listening to Christmas music until AFTER Halloween. I seriously busted out the music the minute it was November 1st.

-The Christmas light competition our family has. And now we're doing variations on it, like lawn ornaments and the works.

-Getting the Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I'm never home for this anymore. Hopefully that'll change next year.

-Another thing I love and am missing now I'm at BYU is watching "Home Alone" and "White Christmas" Thanksgiving night. I'm watching those as soon as I get back home to Missouri.

-Watching other Christmas movies with my siblings at random times from Thanksgiving to Christmas day.

-Even though I am the one ALWAYS complaining about it, I really do love looking at Christmas lights and singing carols. But, you siblings of mine, have to understand that I complain because I'm the one that's ALWAYS sitting/laying on top of you all and it's very uncomfortable. For some reason, we still feel the need to pile into one or two cars and I am the one that has to suffer.

-The order we unwrap gifts. I'm always first!

-Making Christmas goodies. This tradition is one that I've noticed has suffered over the years. Anyone for making Christmas goodies with me? I will NOT participate in making Cherry Nut Cookies, though. BLEH. Or fudge.

-The Jerusalem dinner, mainly because I love eating grapes and hard-boiled eggs.

-Home-made wings on Christmas Eve and watching "Scrooge" down in our basement.

GAH. Can't it be Christmas break yet?! I have 7 finals to get through first...but break is so close I can almost taste it!

Speaking of finals, I gotta write up a paper now.

2 comments:

Peeser said...

Hm... I'm a little disappointed that you don't want to make two of my FAVORITE Christmas goodies... Boo on you.

Still, I would love to help out. I'll probably get there too late, since I won't be there until sometime on the 21st or 22nd, but if there are any goodies to be made, I'm totally there!

:)

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

I will save some goodies for you two to make. What do you want to do?