Monday, November 8, 2010

Quick Update

Yikes. What a crazy couple of weeks. And it's not going to get any easier until after the semester is over. The load will lighten slightly once I get to Thanksgiving break, but until then I've got endless tasks ahead.

And since I'm currently listening to my California Guitar Trio holiday Christmas station on Pandora, I have a few Christmas memories running through my head:

I remember waking up or leaving my room when the whole house was dark and seeing the tree. The initial tree with its lights and ornaments was gorgeous! But then my eyes would wander to the top of the Christmas tree and I'd see that angel staring down at me with its arms outstretch and slightly protruding forward as if she were reaching for me to kill me. I was never a fan of the angel that we'd use time and time again. I know it's an heirloom of some sort, but as a kid (especially in a dark house) it would scare me to the point that I'd have to run by the tree to get to the kitchen to snitch a cookie or two. Or I'd be too terrified to even go to the kitchen. So I guess, mom and dad, your endeavors to stop me from eating food after 9pm worked after all. But now I'm scarred for life. (Family: do we still use this angel? Or has it finally been given away to some other poor, unfortunate family?)

                                                                         --x--

I remember that one year I won the pickle gift. And to all you siblings, it was ONLY that one time. Unlike some of you who think I get it every year because I'm the youngest and complain or something, I have only one once. Or was it twice? Hm. But when I did win, it was AWESOME. Booyah.

                                                                        --x--


The year I got my Easy Bake Oven (no, this wasn't last year...I wish.) was the year that grandma and grandpa Jess were here to celebrate it with us. And I remember making tiny chocolate chip cookies and sharing some with grandpa Jess. This is one of my more fond memories of the only grandfather (and I wasn't even blood related to him) I ever actually knew.

P.S. I kinda want an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas this year...

                                                                     --x--

I remember riding 4-wheelers when we would get Christmas trees from the Odels (is that how you spell their name?). And one year, I think someone put on too much gas when I was riding behind them and I toppled off, doing a sort of flip in the air and onto the ground. But I don't remember getting hurt. Just a little muddy. But I also remember speeding up and down the road with the 4-wheelers. And all the coal that would be around the tree area.

Hm. I should probably stop there. I would LOVE to continue but I have my Doctrine & Covenants class in half an hour and I was supposed to be reading the articles for my Political Science essay due tomorrow. Yay procrastination!

I guess I challenge all of you other bloggers to also post some random Christmas or Holiday memories to start getting festive. And those of you who are like "the Holidays shouldn't be starting yet!" I say this: once Halloween is over, any Christmas stuff and decorations are FAIR GAME. The stores do it, why not me?

1 comment:

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

Hey family, did the angel scare all of you like it did Kirsti???? I never knew. Dad and I like her old-fashioned Victorian look.

Your original Easy Bake oven is still up in the attic - wanna take it back with you to Provo?

Odle

Dad has been listening to Christmas music since Halloween night! I am working on Christmas presents - does that count?