Monday, September 7, 2009

School Days

Last week was my first week of college at good ol' Brigham Young University. My schedule is as follows:
Monday
Survey of World Religions: 9:00-10:15 am
Intro to Archaeology: 11:00-11:50 am
World Dance, Beginning: 5:00-6:40 pm

Tuesday
Creativity, Research, Visualization (C.R.V.): 9:00-10:50 am
Book of Mormon: 12:00-12:50 pm

Wednesday
Survey of World Religions: 9:00-10:15 am
Intro to Archaeology: 11:00-11:50 am

Thursday
C.R.V.: 10:00-10:50 am
Book of Mormon: 12:00-12:50 pm
U.S. History since 1877: 5:00-7:30 pm

Friday
Intro to Archaeology: 11:00-11:50 am

And that's all folks! It's a pretty easy-ish schedule in the sense that the most classes I have for two days is 3 classes. But all of them are gonna be HARD. World Religions has 3 really big exams on the religion terms and how it compares and contrasts with the LDS faith. The professor even said it was hard. Archaeology is a lot of papers and reading and name-remembering but if I do all the work, according to the professor, I'll pass with an A. I just have to work hard. CRV is the class I need a B or better in to get into my major and by the looks of it, I have to write two papers every week and there's a final project at the end of the semester in which I pitch a movie idea and we execute it. And for Book of Mormon, I'm having to read the entire first half until Alma 29 in two weeks! And I was talking to a guy who had his class before and the tests are really hard and he got by barely with a B. And then my History class is a lot of reading and comprehension with lots of Blackboard quizzes and comprehensive papers and then a final project in which I write a paper about a 20th century movie made before the year 1990 that was iconic for their time and how it portrayed the controversies of the decade and how it changed America. Dance will be hard in the sense that I'll have to memorize dances and the style and what country it originated from.

So in all, it's gonna be an intense semester but I have a feeling that if I try hard, I'll be able to achieve good grades. If not, I'll transfer over to UM-SL and go with my original plan of majoring in creative writing with a minor in composition. Maybe. It's still in the air if I find my time at BYU isn't quite what I want it to be and I don't succeed. It's not that I'm pessimistic. I'm just preparing for the worst.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

you're gonna do JUST fine, girlly!! You will love it I bet, and by the end of the year you will be ready to come home & visit...and then you'll be longing to be out west again! ahhhh...the memories! Hang in there...it always seems so dreadful @ the beginning. Just keep on track (and if you can get a bit ahead of schedule, that always helps toward the end) and you'll do fine! Just work, work, work!

Sarah Lambson said...

Hang in there. Man. I can't imagine taking the classes you are taking this semester. My first semester wasn't that hard. I just slacked off a lot.

Don't let yourself fall into the "I have freedom" trap. Don't skip class and don't procrastinate. I think you will be fine. You've always been a very diligent student.

Good luck!

Melanie (a.k.a. ellaniemae) said...

I am shocked to think that you are coming up with a plan B in case your first option doesn't work out!! You are going to be just fine! You can do this! You are a very determined young woman who, when she sets her mind to something cannot be deterred. Get plan B out of you head and stick to plan A, succeeding at BYU...Even though I miss you like crazy and Sunday dinner is not the same without you, You NEED to be there learning who you are...

Wishing you much love and success!!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

You will work diligently and be just fine. I can see how orchestra would not fit in your life this semester. Maybe next semester? When and how often do they rehearse?