Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finally! Somewhere permanent!

Today was the big move down Freedom Blvd. from the temporary apartment to the year-long dorm room at Wyview. Kamrie, Katie, and Nate (my cousins) all helped pack up the SUV and drive on down and unload in my dorm. As I've already seen from an earlier tour of Wyview, the dorm is really nice compared to the apartment I was living in. Just see for yourself:This is my room (the top bunk is where my roommate, Justyna, will be sleeping). My bed isn't as comfortable as the apartment bed, but it's longer and still pretty nice.This is my dresser top and it's already cluttered! I'll eventually sort through it and make it more aesthetically pleasing.My closet, which will be cluttered as long as I have as much clothes as I do. My violin is sitting on the top shelf.Check out the toilet. Since the dorm is meant for disabled people (yeah, I feel bad for taking a spot in this place from someone who deserves it more...) this bathroom has TONS of room and the toilet is slightly higher than most other toilets, which was quite disconcerting the first time I used it.
The sink/mirror and my clutter in the corner. I could easily take up ALL the room on the sink, but I decided to leave room for my roommates. Notice the metal bars, again, for disabled people.
This is part of the couch, the window(s) and my coat hanger, which didn't have room in my actual room. So it'll be sitting there until I get some input on where to put it.
This is the kitchen. Pretty basic, nothing too crazy or complicated. but it's definitely nicer than the University Villa apartment kitchen.
My fridge, littered with my pathetic food collection. Since this picture, I have gone shopping at the Creamery, which is a 2 minute walk from my dorm (not the MAIN creamery. It's a smaller version that also has a laundromat attached to it). The prices are a little ridiculous, but since I don't really want to worry about taking a bus to Wal-Mart, I might be doing most of my shopping at the Creamery, and all my supplies at BYU Bookstore.This is my only magnet on my fridge right now, courtesy of Beckie. This is sorta my motto right now, since I really don't want to be bold. It took a lot to get out of my bed after my nap, get on my bike, and go to the BYU Bookstore to buy an ethernet cable (best purchase ever! This internet is FAST!). But since leaving, it's really nice to know that I have a friend back at the Villa, my roommate for two weeks, Vanessa. I hope that these next two weeks before school starts we can hang out some more and then enjoy attending Dance together (we have the same dance class).

so this is the small tour of my dorm. I actually took a MILLION pictures but some were of really silly things, like my cupboards, a close up of the desk area, more of the sofa (which is a wrap-around, which I didn't show you), and of the boxes that lay collapsed and vacant.

It feels good to be here. In fact, since unpacking, it feels like I've always been here. There's nothing weird about it. Maybe that's because of the fact that I'm used to being nomadic or because I'm numb to everything nowadays, or maybe it's just the Spirit filling me with comfort that it will be alright, even if, financially, it doesn't feel okay. My financial situation is like a storm, looming in the background. It isn't in my face just yet but the need to prepare for the storm is very crucial for my survival. But I feel at peace now, watching those storm clouds, because I know that I won't be alone. I won't be abandoned and left for dead. I have friends, I have family, and I have my Father in Heaven to help me through this. And I will survive.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Your apt looks really nice! It's WAAAAY nicer than the dorms I lived in @ Ricks!!! I'm glad you're getting some courage up to get out of your apartment more. Now is probably the best time, since everyone is moving in...you can lend them a hand, help them with their stuff, and you'll have instant friends! Plus, I can almost promise that you'll have a crazy roomie (I always did), and it's nice to have another place you can go and vent a bit, and take a breather! Meet the neighbors, and tell us what they're like! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Emily S. said...

LOVE the photo update... Thanks!! It's looking good, and I am so glad you can begin your "real" BYU life. Good luck!!

Peeser said...

Maybe you're feeling so good because you're out of the invaded apartment of before... :) Or it could just be that it's nice to be settled in your "permanent" home, even if it is only for a year... You will grow strong through this. I know Heavenly Father is looking out for you and will provide you with what you need to grow. (Good luck with the receptionist job!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!)

Julina said...

That last part reminds me of another coupla verses from Sec 121

9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
10 Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job.

Anyway - good luck in the coming week or so. Talk to you soon (I hope :-)

Sarah Lambson said...

Can I just tell you how jealous I am of this new experience you are having? I never really got to have it and I envy you.

I'm glad that you feel good about it.