I had an enlightening talk with a few people this week regarding my previous blog post. One was with my best friend, Sara, and the other was with my brother, Steven. I was at my One-Acts festival yesterday when I expressed my stress about college and that I can't fully calm down until I buckle down and decide which to go to. Sara asked me the pros and cons of both schools (she's not a reader of my blog). I told her the gist of the lists and told her what I was considering: going to UM-SL for a year and then transferring out to BYU. I said that I wanted to take baby steps since going right out to BYU would be terrifying. Sara, as most of you don't know, is going to Turkey for a year starting this August through the Rotary program. So she knows better than anyone else the fears of leaving home. Kelsey, another one of my friends who was in the conversation, said she was planning on doing something like that as well. But Sara was the one to shoot down the idea. She said that it would be harder to leave home if I went to UM-SL for a year. She said that going out far first and then coming home is much better because its better to go cold turkey than taking steps, otherwise it'll be harder to leave. She used the fact that she's going to Turkey as an example. Once she's been to Turkey, going to college closer though not exactly at home will be much easier since she's been extremely far away for an extended period of time and knows at that point that it is possible to do it.
Although I didn't necessarily want to hear this, I knew what she was coming from and I respect her opinion and took it for thought.
Later that afternoon, my brother calls me. He left a mesage on my phone the previous night during work stating that I should go to BYU. Unlike my other siblings (exception maybe Emily, though she hasn't called me and shouted "GO TO BYU", but close enough), Steven is the first to actually tell me where I should go. Maybe everyone else is afraid of swaying me one direction or the other or because they really don't have an opinion, I was really appreciative of Steven to come out and state what he thought. Of course, the scaredy cat in me was hoping he would say UM-SL for the sake of my comfort zone, but he said BYU. I allowed him to argue his point and listened. He made some really valid points and I had to agree with him. The conversation was short lived since he had things to do and I had other things that needed to get done before work, but it stuck in my mind for the remainder of the day. In a matter of a few hours, I had two very wonderful people argue logically in favor of the farther of the two schools.
So without further ado, I've decided that I will be attending BYU starting the fall-winter '09 semester. Condolences, congradulations, or a pat on the back will be nice in the next few weeks and I will definitely need some help moving out there when the time comes. It wasn't an easy decision, but I know that the Lord will provide for me and won't lead me astray.
Thank you all for being patient. I hate making big decisions, but it's a relief to finally have it made.