Friday, February 8, 2008

Girly Stuff. Guys, Don't worry about reading!

So, tonight I watched The Jane Austen Book Club and though it wasn't the best movie in the world, something stood out to me: my lack of knowledge in the Jane Austen department. Cinema-wise, I've seen many renditions of her novels such as Emma, Sense and Sensibility, several Pride and Prejudices and whatnot, but as far as literature, I've only gotten through half of Pride and Prejudice and put it down when her wordiness got the best of me. Does this make me a bad fan? Uncultured? Or just impatient? Are her six novels worth reading?

From this movie, I got the gist of all six, already being familiar with three. But after watching them on screen, should I take the time to actually read them? I need advice from those who have taken time out of their lives to read her books and tell me the worth of all of them.

I also noticed, from this movie, the hardships of relationships. All her books are all about relationships, and it seems, in the majority of them, their difficulties. How is someone who was never married herself so knowledgeable in relationships? Its just mind-boggling to me. And its a wonder she wasn't more cynical about them. I know the story in Becoming Jane isn't exactly true, but if something like that happened to me, I'd be a very bitter author indeed. But maybe she channeled her emotions into something more optimistic. It just goes to show Jane was much more mature than I was...

Anyways, the movie wasn't AMAZING but if you're looking for something entertaining its worth a watch.

P.S. Here is my desired schedule:

1. Orchestra(of course)
2. Musical Productions 3(what did you expect?)
3. Human Genetics(I needed one more science, and I hate Chemistry and Physics)
4. Tech Theatre 1(get my practical art done finally)
5. AP Statistics(She wouldn't let me do College Algebra. Its 2 steps down from my math class now)
6. Write To Publish(This was a tough decision between this and AP Lit. This was an inspiration at the last minute)
7. AP Music Theory(Just in case I want to have a music major)
Alt: Film Study

Anyways, just thought you'd like to know(to those who read my blog, anyways...:-P)

2 comments:

Julina said...

For what it's worth, I didn't "discover" Jane Austen till after my mission, so you aren't "uncultured" at 17... And I'd recommend "Northanger Abbey" as a book that 1) isn't as long as P&P and 2) doesn't take itself too seriously. "Persuasion" also has that first part, at least, going for it...

One of the things I like is her characters that are true to themselves - Lizzie doesn't fall for Darcy 'cause he's rich - or even handsome. It's his character (OK, and his house ;-) that wins her. Anne in Persuasion ultimately figures out she has to follow her heart, and one of my favorite characters, Fanny in Mansfield Park, is a woman of great integrity who gets her reward (love, of course!) as a result.

Just some thoughts. Love you even if you don't love Jane ;-)

Take care,

Julina

Steven said...

Um, I can tell you, not having even wasted one atom of a nerve synapse in thinking of putting myself in any kind of proximity to a Jane Austen work...there are better things to do with your time. Like biking. Or dropping heavy objects on your fingernails. If you can't tell, i am exactly the kind of guy you warned away with your post title. But i thought it would be fun to tell you, via comment, just how nauseated even the thought of Jane Austen makes me. Love you anyway!!! :) :) :)

And "Lost" owns. See? You can watch "Lost" over and over again instead of reading Jane Austen! I'm a genius!