Monday, January 22, 2007

Beowulf and Animal Testing

In my AP World History/Honors English Class A.K.A. World Life and Literature, We are currently reading the timeless classic Beowulf. What's funny about this book is that even though Beowulf seems like an OK sort of guy...I'm rooting for Grendel. Is this a bad thing? Ever since we were first introduced to Grendel, I knew I was going to like this guy/creature/thingy. Its interesting because for a journal response, we had to rewrite the section in the book where Grendel meets Beowulf, but talk in Grendel's point of view. And I made it so that Grendel had very human-like emotions and was basically a human with the wrong motives. I know he is described as very animal-like in the book, but I get the sense that he has more human qualities than animal. My teacher Mrs.Varns told us about the book in Grendel's POV called Grendel, and I want to read it. I love Grendel! He's awesome!

Staying on the topic of books, for Honors Biology, we are responsible for picking out a Non-Fiction Science book to read and write reports on it. It can be any scientific topic and it can be any length. I was having troubles choosing the book since a lot of the topics I'm into were already taken. I might ask siblings(specifically Beckie) for books, but I'll ask Beckie first because she is getting a masters in the topic I'm most interested in: Psychology. But in the meantime, I'm trying out a book about Animal Testing and how it affects society. Its pretty interesting, but if I find that it isn't my cup-o-tea, I'll get one on Artificial Intelligence or Psychology. Maybe Stephen Hawking...if I can understand it. Crazy String Theory.

Tennis Update(I know you all like it):
Andy Murray lost to Raphael Nadal: 7-6 4-6 6-4 3-6 1-6
James Blake lost to Fernando Gonzalez: 5-7 4-6 6-7
Maria Sharapova won against Vera Zvonareva: 7-5 6-4

Quarter Finalists:
Roger Federer vs. Tommy Robredo
Raphael Nadal vs. Fernando Gonzalez
Nikolay Davydenko vs. Tommy Haas
Andy Roddick vs. Mardy Fish

Maria Sharapova vs. Anna Chakvetadze
Kim Clijsters vs. Martina Hingis
Nicole Vaidisova vs. Lucie Safarova
Shahar Peer vs. Serena Williams

Bold=Who I want to go to the Semi's

No comments: